What lies between us and covid19 or any virus for that matter is our immune system. What we’re eating at the moment is extremely important plus getting enough vitamin D (especially those with darker skins). But there are other factors that affect our immune response, even in light of a great diet:
1. Stress load – the more stressed we are the worse we eat. The more stressed we are the more the body uses vitamin C.
2. Sleep – the less we sleep the poorer the food choice/caffeine choice the next day. It’s on high alert during the day when we’re more likely to get injured and needs us to sleep so it can replenish and repair. Poor sleep puts our immune system into hyper drive.
3. Detoxification – our lungs (keep window open at night for detox help), kidneys (water-up to 2L a day), liver (bitter tea on waking), skin (Epsom salts for 20 mins in a bath before bed) and gut need some TLC otherwise toxins can re-circulate and give our immune systems more work to do.
4. Microbiome – our gut houses 2/3 of the body’s immune system. It’s also the biggest barrier against the outside world, aside from the skin.
5. Movement – exercise is really important to keep the lymphatic system healthy – the system which delivers B and T cells, the special forces of the immune system.