Modern life has created an energy crisis – and that’s before perimenopause kicks in. The reason we have this energy crisis is because the body keeps going, regardless of how much stress we
are under. We’ve created a sophisticated biochemical and endocrine feedback system to deal with adverse events and high life-load. Although we can adapt, this is often to the detriment of our vitality.
Here are 8 ways to boost your va va voom today!
- Eat a protein rich breakfast!
- A tea or coffee only lasts you till the next one. It gives you a high of energy, which then leads to a dip. Swap that caffeine on waking to a hot lemon and water and enjoy your caffeine only with breakfast.
- More Vitamin C! If we are stressed our adrenals which kick out stress hormone need a good supply: leafy greens, parsley, pepper, berries, citrus fruits.
- More iron! Often high in vitamin C rich plants which help its absorption from non heam plant sources – isn’t nature clever! Good sources: lean beef, darker cuts of chicken, green leafy vegetables, fish, brown rice, kidney beans, chickpeas, edamame beans, quinoa.
- More magnesium! Essential to 6 out of the 8 key energy yielding processes in the body. Magnesium rich foods: leafy greens, pumpkin seeds, avcoado, cashew nuts, black beans, Epsom salt baths.
- Protein-rich snacks to help with the 3pm slump: savoury seeds, miso soup, falafels, hummus, guacamole, trail mix, raw chocolate, small bowl of protein rich granola with a dollup of coconut or almond yogurt and some blueberries.
- Learn to say ‘no’ to personal engagements if you feel exhausted.
- Try to go to bed before you get that second wind or fall asleep on the sofa.